Friday, May 16, 2014

Triple H!

What it stands for is..
Healthy Homemade Hummus!
Haha...

Anyways, so since it's summer and I have nothing to do, my boyfriend and I were craving hummus. We had just gotten one tub last week and it was my first time trying it. Yes I know i'm late with the hummus fad but I never really had interest in it and my boyfriend said it was amazing so I tried it. I'm addicted! :)
So we casually looked online how to make hummus and after looking at a few recipes, we decided to try it out. It seemed easy and it is! It tastes just like the Sabra original hummus!

Ingredients

- 2 Garbanzo beans (replacement for chickpeas)
-lemon
-1 clove of garlic
-tahini
  -sesame seeds
  -olive oil
-1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)
-grape tomatoes (garnish)

1) Now first we made the tahini because we couldn't find it. If you can find it, skip this step! 
You grind up the sesame seeds into fine "powder" and then add olive oil. It's supposed to be like a sesame paste but the consistency should be like pudding.

2) DO NOT drain the garbanzo beans. If you want, peel off the outer layer of the garbanzo beans. You can see the peels in the back of the picture! ;) After one can though, it got really tiring and it took around 20 minutes. Now since I accidentally already drained the first can, I was only able to use half of the second can and use all of it's liquid. Hummus is not a dry paste so you want to save the liquid!! You want to grind up all the garbanzo beans until it's a creamy whipped like texture!


3) Now to the tahini mixture, we squeezed half a lemon and a teaspoon of salt. We also minced up the garlic and added that to the tahini mixture as well. Then grind everything up again! You want everything to be finely grinded up!

4) Add the tahini mixture + garlic + lemon + salt and the grinded up garbanzo beans together and grind it up again! Now you want to taste it and add any more salt or the rest of the lemon in! We added the other half of the lemon.

5) Chill first then serve. It tastes better! You may want to dice up your grape tomatoes and garnish on top!


We had carrots that we were trying to finish so here is our final product! 
We made pita bread as well and those were amazing as well!! I will be uploading a pita bread recipe that we always use, next time!
Enjoy!!

Any critiques would be helpful! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment